Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just a Wife and Mom? Just put down the pitchfork!

Photobucket


The New Year is always a good time for a little self evaluation. A fresh start! I have really been thinking and praying about God's direction in my life. Am I doing what I was made to do?

To be honest, my deepest desire and longing is to be a wife and a mother. I think that is a pretty bold statement. My generation was told that you can be anything you want to be! Hearing that over and over has really caused me a lot of confusion. The idea of picking just one career was just so overwhelming. What if I want to be just a wife and a mother? Is that O.K?

Lately, there has been a firestorm  of debate over the Stay-at-home Mom vs. Working Out of the Home Mom. This has been a issue for a very long time. Yet, it seems to be getting quite a bit of press lately. It is a decision that each family has to make. The two extreme sides of the debate seem to get most of the press. It can at times become a nasty debate.

Right now I am in a season of my life where I must work outside of the home. I have been extremely blessed to have a wonderful job! I really find a great deal of joy in what I do. I am very thankful for my job! I am blessed!

Michael and I do not have children at this time. While we both deeply want to be parents, it is just not what God has for us right now. That is a mighty hard pill to swallow sometimes, I have faith. I have faith that someday we will be parents. It could be from natural birth, adoption, foster care or by some other means.

Back to the debate! Each family has to make the decision on what works best for their families. I don't think it is fair for either side to look down at the other. We have all been called to do different things. Some have been called to be doctors. Some have been called to be teachers or writers. Some are called to stay at home. Isn't it wonderful that each of us is called to a different purpose?! 

In our church small group I have been learning a pretty important lesson. Each of us has a story. You never know what another person's story is.  Yesterday, I heard some pretty powerful testimonies. I never would have thought that these amazing people have gone through such struggles.
You don't know what paths their lives have taken.
So lets put down our pitch forks and agree to encourage one another. Let's agree to lift each other up. Let's agree to seek out the plan for our lives, whatever path that may be.

Scripture References:
The Lord will guide you continually …” (Isaiah 58:11)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5)
"Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass … Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.” 
(Psalm 37:4,7)







3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, emily! hope your small group is a good spot for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning post Emily. I would love to be a Stay at home wife (my children have all left home already)...but the Lord has called us into full time ministry...and I am happy with whatever He calls us to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. We are blessed to be able to homeschool our kids, because that's what we want...and both work. Everyone has different goals...and desires. I think you are admirable. It is okay to just want to be a WIFE and mother. Career does not come before family, although it may be important for some at times.

    ReplyDelete