Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Flashback: Glamour Shots

 Me: 1995

I was a Freshman in High School. My choir was earning money for a trip to a national choir competition in Washington DC. One of the many fabulous items we hocked sold were Entertainment Books! There was  a coupon for 50% off a glamor photoshoot. Just what every fifteen year old needs is a dash of feathers and a string of pearls! Ha!

Growing up in a very rural area, we didn't have a large shopping mall. We most certainly did not have the actual Glamour Shots store. No, what we had was a sketchy guy and his wife who set up in a shabby local motel room that smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Not the glamorous setting that I had envisioned. Thankfully my mother came along to supervise.

I was so proud of this photograph. Not only did I look far older than my fifteen years, but I also looked sophisticated. 
Sixteen years later, this photo makes me smile! I can laugh at the horrible feathers, pearls, and fan. There is more to it. I can see my deep inner desire to be seen as pretty. A struggle most girls and woman go through. It wasn't until 4 years later that I really began to cultivate my inner beauty and see beyond my exterior. A continuous process of looking past my physical flaws and working towards a gentle and quiet spirit. 

Thanks 15 year old Emily for reminding me to seek beauty outside of my looks!

1 Peter 3:3-4 (New International Version) 

3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

Psalm 139:14 (New International Version) 

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.



No comments:

Post a Comment