Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Going insane: A tale of a city in distress before a flake has fallen!


The buzz here in town is the impending doom of a snowstorm that is on its way. The grocery store this evening was a MESS!!! The lines were long. People stocking up on bread and milk. Do you know how much snow they think we are going to get? 4 inches! That is right my friends, not the 36 inches that Burlington Vermont got. Just 4 inches. Laughable! School delays and closings are"featured at the bottom of my screen". A flake has yet to fall from the sky.

Growing up in Vermont, I know snow. 4 inches there is just a minor dusting. The road crews in Vermont would have it taken care of by 7:30am. The problem here is that they just don't know how to take care of the snow. There doesn't seem to be a very good plan for clearing the neighborhood streets. Back in 2004, when we had that huge snowstorm just before Christmas. It took four days before our street was cleared and the only reason is a guy who lived in our neighborhood worked for the city. Hmmmm!

So what am I to do?

A: Go into a panicked frenzy
B: Lay tarps on the front walkway to catch the snow. Then at 5:00am drag the snow over to the neighbor's front walkway. Those snow drifts are killer this year!
C: Curl up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. Laugh because of my superior ability to handle any weather situation! Ha!

Here is a random picture to share with you! It is from the top deck of the ferry heading towards Ellis Island. I have another story about my experience going to see the Statue of Liberty. Will have to wait for another day! It has to do with a personal item of mine being confiscated,

Sleep Dreams!
Emily

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos...the last one is my favorite.

    I would choose C: Curl up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. Laugh because of my superior ability to handle any weather situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...it's so funny how everyone reacts to the littlest bit of snow. I remember the years in Vermont and all the snow we had, I LOVED it...and thought nothing of it, but now living in Ohio I miss it...thankfully this week we've gotten a good helping!

    ReplyDelete