Thursday, January 7, 2010

Scrapbooking: Dangerous to National Security?

The Cutter Bee Scissors. They are a staple for many people in the crafting world. Their comfortable handles and sharp points make them perfect for delicate cutting work. I loved them so much that I had two pairs.

I often bring my cutter bee scissors to work when I am working on bulletin board projects. They are usually with me on days that I have the afterschool scrapbooking club! I keep them in the side pocket of my camera bag for easy access.

During our trip east for Christmas, Michael and I took the ferry out to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The only thing I took along with me was my camera bag. Before getting on the ferry each passenger is subjected to a security screening. No problem I thought, I don't have anything to hide. So my camera bag is put through the scanner. It took quite a while for the bag to go through. Then the security officers asked if they could open up my bag. I still didn't have a problem. Then they pulled out the scissors.

I was questioned about what they were. Duh....SCISSORS! I was told that I could NOT take take them with me. They would have to be destroyed. Those are $10 scissors. I asked if I could take them to my car. Sure, but the next ferry was leaving in five minutes.

What to do? What to do? Leave them and loose a great pair of scissors or take them to the car that was 1/2 a mile away and miss the ferry? Michael being the practical man that he is said that I could just get a new pair. Painfully, I allowed my precious scissors to be taken away.

So my faithful scrapbooking friends, please be careful! You may be asked to sacrifice an important scrapbooking tool in the name of National Security.

Have a good night!

Emily

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to put my scissors under lock and key immediately now that I see what a danger they might be! Shocking!!

    ReplyDelete